What makes us a Quality Care Home?
What makes us a Quality Care Home? Our mission is to empower residents, promote quality services and provide good leadership, training and support for staff.
We aim to demonstrate the best practice in administration of medication, falls prevention, pressure sore care, nutritional care and financial safeguarding.
Our quality care home provides a safe environment through good health and safety procedures. At the same time we empower residents to protect themselves by explaining about potential risks and support and monitor them in their choices; so that they are protected from abuse, neglect and harm.
We work in partnership with carers, relatives and close friends. Their expertise is recognised; and their input into ensuring a quality service is welcomed.
Suggestions and complaints are viewed positively by The Retreat Care Home as a means to improve services and as part of our safeguarding process.
We encourage staff to question poor practice, to avoid a blame culture and to continuously develop their skills and expertise.
Needs and preferences in a Quality Care Home
People’s personal needs and priorities obviously differ, but our experience tells us that in a Quality Care Home every elderly person deserves the following:
- improved health by lessening the risks of illnesses
- improved fitness and mobility through exercise such as fitness walks and armchair aerobics
- an environment in which they can achieve a better quality of life
- the feeling that they are making a positive contribution to life
- the opportunity to be involved in assessing and managing their own health and wellbeing, and in deciding how their needs can best be met
- to be able to exercise choice, and to take greater control of their lives
- freedom from discrimination or harassment
- respect for their own unique life style, for their cultural background, and for their religious and spiritual beliefs
- economic well-being and security
- personal dignity
Our Grade 2* listed stately home has been sympathetically extended to provide comfortable bedrooms which meet modern standards. It has spacious communal areas.
It is a detached house surrounded by large gardens, located in a very quiet area on the outskirts of Plymouth.
The most important features of our quality care home are its happy, relaxed atmosphere and its pleasant smell.
Fresh flowers are often brought into the house by our gardening team or by the residents themselves.
- Large bedrooms
- Double rooms available
- En-suite facilities
- Personal furniture and possessions allowed
- Wi Fi throughout the house.
- TV point
- Smoke detectors
- Thermostatic radiators
- Room service
House and Gardens
- Housekeeping team
- Full laundry service
- Bath lifts and specially equipped bathrooms
- TV lounges
- Landscaped gardens with sitting areas
- Secure garden
- Pathways suitable for wheelchairs
- Raised beds for residents who enjoy gardening
Food and Diet
We provide a balanced diet to our residents. Individual dietary requirements are met. Menus are provided in all resident rooms and are available in the dining room.
Residents and visitors are offered hot or cold drinks and light snacks; and these are available at any time of the day or night.
We will be happy to prepare an alternative to the planned choices, with sufficient notice, and are always ready to learn an individuals’ personal likes and dislikes so as to plan meals accordingly
- Daily change of menu to meet nutritional requirements
- Vegetarian and special diets catered for
- Meals may be served outside, weather permitting, or in a person’s own room
- Assistance with feeding when necessary
- Visitors welcome to join our residents for meals
Medical and Health Support
- Nursing and medical care
- Personal Care Plan
- Personal key worker
- Specialist nurses visiting
- Optician visits
- Dietician visits
- Chiropody services
- Physiotherapy services
Safety and Specialist Features
- 24-hour nurse call system
- Indoor and outdoor wheelchair access
- Maintenance officers
- Use of minibus
Visit our Care Home Facilities
Visitors are always welcome to inspect our Care Home Facilities. If you want to visit the Retreat Care Home, our address is: Belle Vue Road, Hooe, Plymstock, Plymouth, Devon, UK, PL9 9NR. We look forward to meeting you!
The Retreat was a Dower House to Radford Mansion which was the largest house in Plymstock, Plymouth. The Radford Estate was there at the beginning of the thirteenth century. It was owned by various members of the le Abbe family. Francis Drake, Walter Raleigh, Howard and Hawkins were entertained by the Harris family who succeeded the Radfords, or Redfords.
For any question regarding our Care Home Facilities, or if you want to contact us before your visit, you can call our advisers on 0800 955 0069 or send an email to email@example.com.
The ideal Care Home Facilities make The Retreat a very good alternative to Home Care, but if you are looking for live in carers that provide specialised care at your own home, we recommend our sister company Sunshine Care (see https://www.sunshinecare.co.uk/)
Our Care Home special features
1001 Care Homes,